The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon event is a certified climate neutral event. We are encouraging all runners to help us support the #RunGreen campaign. YOU CAN ESTIMATE YOUR CARBON IMPACT OF YOUR LIFESTYLE AND TAKE THE GREEN PLEDGE BY SPONSORING A GREENPOP TREE”
With assistance from The Climate Neutral Group, the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon aims to continue to create and have a social, economic & environmental impact in South Africa and supports the following projects:
- Greenpop Urban Greening and Reforestation Programs and Projects
- The Wonderbag Project
- Joburg Waste to Energy Project
- Basa Magogo Project
To really make a difference and off-set your Travel “Carbon” Footprint in relation to the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon CLICK HERE
RUN GREEN = REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE – DO NOT LITTER:
Please consider the environment and TAKE ACTION – BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS
TAKE ACTION – DO NOT LITTER
- Dropping of sachets on the ground will NOT BE ALLOWED – we are proudly a climate neutral event and we appreciate all the support we can get from you. We will be focusing on ways to improve, provide measures and assist where possible.
- Please DO NOT LITTER by just dropping your water / energy sachet/s in the road or on the pavement, the race will be providing many ‘Green Chuck Zones’ and ‘Bins’ so please ensure that you always look for one and dispose of your sachet in the bins provided, or carry the sachet till you can throw it away.
- Throw your used water and energy sachets in the “GREEN CHUCK ZONES” or
- Carry your litter with you or
- Carry your own water (where possible) in a hydration pack or a water bottle belt
TAKE ACTION – #CHALLENGEOTHERS
- Please encourage your fellow runners to support our “RunGreen” campaign. If we stand together we can make a real difference.
TAKE ACTION – MEASURE AND OFF-SET YOUR TRAVEL “CARBON” FOOTPRINT
- TAKE ACTION – ESTIMATE YOUR CARBON IMPACT OF YOUR LIFESTYLE AND TAKE THE GREEN PLEDGE BY SPONSORING A GREENPOP TREE. Your carbon impact is the sum of all emissions of CO2 (carbon dioxide), which are induced by your activities in a given time frame. You are now able to ESTIMATE your “carbon” impact and sponsor a Greenpop tree which supports our climate neutral initiates. We have a custom made application ( brought to you by Sanlam) where all Sanlam Cape Town Marathon Runners are able to estimate their negative “carbon” impact and pledge to sponsor a tree to make a positive impact CLICK HERE for link.
- Greenpop is on a mission to reconnect people with our planet. We plant trees and have fun doing it! We run urban greening and reforestation projects, spread environmental awareness wherever we go, and activate people through green festivals and workshops.
- Greenpop was founded in 2010 and has since planted over 66,000 indigenous and fruit trees at schools and other urban sites, community farms as well as forests across South Africa, Zambia and Tanzania. To find out more go to www.greenpop.org