THE SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON SPECTATOR EXPERIENCE
The marathon is a long personal journey into the very centre of the soul. Marathon runners feed on YOUR encouragement to get them over the line. Many are far away from home, visitors to this beautiful city – be one of the many enthusiastic ambassadors welcoming and encouraging them. All you need is music, dance, entertainment or cheering to make their experience an unforgettable one. And we’ve made it so easy for you:
To take part, simply make your way to one of the specially created SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON SPECTATOR ZONES at the following points:
- 1km: Liesbeeck Parkway [Half-way]
- 24 km: Rondebosch Common [Opposite Red Cross Children’s Hospital]
- 27km: Newlands [Outside Newlands Cricket Ground]
- 30km: Rondebosch Main Road [Outside Nations Café]
- 32km: Observatory Main Road [Outside Pick ‘n Pay Observatory]
- 39km: Cape Town Company Gardens [Half way down the avenue]
- 40km: Bree Street [Length of Bree]
- 41km: Prestwich Museum [Outside Truth Coffee]
- 42km: Green Point, Fan-Walk, Somerset Road [Opposite Manos Restaurant]
- 2km: Finish [Green Point A Track]
Grab a cuppa and join those wonderful Capetonians that make this city such an awesome place to live – those who have taken up the initiative in creating these spectator zones: the communities, the sponsors, the needy charities and now you our unofficial ambassador!
To witness one of Africa’s Iconic marathons, all you need to do is SHOW UP and SHOUT!
Other points along the route that are areas of interest include:
- Tsogo Sun Newlands – Main Road Newlands
- District Six – just below CPUT
Our primary supporter zone is at the Green Point A Track, Green Point where many of the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon races start and finish. Attractions include the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon finish, food stalls, music and a beer garden. The close proximity to Green Point Urban Park and the Waterfront ensures that this is a festive all-day family outing.
If you are wanting to follow your runner, the event is putting up a free spectator bus that does a circuit, stopping off at 5 different points along the marathon route. To catch this bus go to the MyCiti Stadium bus stop and look out for the MyCiti Spectator bus. You will stop off at the following points: Rondebosch Common, Company Gardens in Orange street and Queen Victoria Street, Prestwich Museum and the Start / Finish. There will be a bus every 20 minutes passing past these stops – we hope that you enjoy the ride.
If you are unable to make it to a Spectator Zone, be sure not to miss out as the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon will be broadcast live on the 18th September 2016 from 06h30 on SABC2
You will also be able to view the event through live streaming off the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon website – www.sanlamcapetownmarathon.com