The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon (42.2km) is a prestigious global city race open to a range of running enthusiasts from elite athletes to social runners. Along the spectacular route, you will take in the famous natural beauty of Cape Town’s mountains and sea, as well as many of the city’s great attractions.
For Interactive Sanlam Cape Town Marathon Map: CLICK HERE – powered by TOMTOM Maps
Running the marathon is unique way to experience the gorgeous highlights and the vibrant spirit of one of Africa’s most visited and most celebrated city. It is an ideal race both for athletes who aim to achieve fast times, and for first-timers who want to finish their inaugural marathon. The route is wheelchair-friendly, and the 6 hour 30 minute cut-off time can accommodate the social runner.
Sanlam Cape Town Marathon Records:
- Men: 02:08:41 (2016) – Asefa Negewo (Ethiopia)
- Women: 02:30:20 (2015) – Isabella Ochichi (Kenya)
The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon takes place on Sunday, 17th September, 2017
- Race starts at 07h00
- Start: Beach Road, corner of Granger Bay and Beach Road, Green Point, Cape Town
- Finish: Green Point A track, Cape Town
- Cut off time – Duration is 6 hours 30 minutes
- The Marathon is a closed event consisting of 10 000 runners
- Entry Fees South African (local) athletes (VAT incl):
- Licensed Runners: R230 – Includes race entry, timing Chip & ASICS shirt
- Unlicensed Runners: R290 – Includes race entry, temporary licence, timing Chip & ASICS shirt
- Sanlam Cape Town Marathon (optional extra) event shirt: R200
- Entry Fees International athletes (VAT incl) – Africa: R600 (includes race entry, timing device, Asics shirt and temporary SA athlete registration)
- Entry Fees International athletes (VAT incl) – Rest of World: R1000 (includes race entry, timing device, Asics shirt and temporary SA athlete registration)
- Open to elite athletes; registered and unregistered runners, as well as wheelchair racers of 20 years of age and over
- Rewards include prize money, goodie bags, giveaways and medals
- Payment of Prize money: Money will only be transferred once full doping results are received
- Timing chips are being used and will be placed on the back of your race number – please note if chip is tampered with no result or position will be recorded.
- On-line Entries close at midnight on 20th August 2017, or when the maximum entry limit has been reached. NO LATE ENTRIES accepted.
- Manual entries close on 13th August, or when the maximum entry limit has been reached. NO LATE ENTRIES accepted.
- RUN GREEN: The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon event is a climate neutral
event. We are encouraging all runners to help us support the #RunGreen
- Athletes are able to off-set their carbon footprint by taking the #RUN4CHANGE pledge – OFF-SET YOUR TRAVEL CARBON FOOTPRINT
- Qualifying race for 2018 Old Mutual Two Oceans, Comrades Ultra-Marathons and several IAAF accredited marathons around the world
- No upgrades or downgrades will be processed.
- Substitutions will be done between 21st & 27th AUGUST 2017. No refunds will be processed. An admin fee will be charged for substitution entries.
- Professional Athletes’ Programme (PAP) – Due to numerous reasons including special drinks stations, organization, logistics, anti-doping & media, all international athletes and local athletes (who hope to qualify for prize money), need to apply and be accepted into the PAP, applications are to be sent through to the meeting organisers, for attention of the professional athlete co-ordinator, no later than 8 weeks prior to the event – e-mail address: PAP@capetownmarathon.com
- PAP INVITED INTERNATIONAL ATHLETES: Please note that the 2017 SCTM is an IAAF Gold Label marathon, this means that we are required to invite athletes from at least 5 countries and that these athletes should meet the following IAAF Gold Label Status standards; Gold Label Status Times (recorded within the past 36 months – from our race date of 17 September 2017)
SANLAM CAPE TOWN MARATHON – PAP INTERNATIONAL GOLD LABEL STATUS QUALIFYING TIMES
MARATHON: Men: 2:10:00 and Women: 2:28:00 HALF MARATHON: Men: 1:01:00 and Women: 1:11:00 10KM: 28:00 and Women: 32:00
- All international athletes (particularly athletes who hope to qualify for prize money), including those who may be running for local clubs, will only be accepted if she / he represents herself / himself or if represented by an authorized athlete representative (as listed on IAAF.org for year 2017), and are required to present a written approval (a permit) from their National federations. Proof of the fore-mentioned requirements, along with a copy of athlete’s passport need to be handed over to the event organisers, for the attention of the professional athlete co-ordinator, 4 weeks prior to the event taking place. All athletes who do not present such permits and copies of passports within the given time-frame will NOT be eligible for prize money and the event organisers reserve the right to stop such athlete from taking part in the event.
- PAP: LOCAL ATHLETES (SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENS): Local athletes (particularly athletes who hope to qualify for prize money) will be considered to race within the PAP field. All applications (including a motivating letter and athletes CV with times) need to be sent through to PAP@capetownmarathon.com. The following selection criteria is in place for local South African Runners into the PAP field:
- All South African Athletes, with South African ID’s, who have achieved IAAF GOLD Label status times during the last 12 months qualify for entry
IAAF Gold Level times are:
Marathon: Men: 2:10:00 and Women: 2:28:00
Half Marathon: Men: 1:01:00 and Women: 1:11:00
10km/10,000m: Men: 28:00 and Women: 32:00
- All South African Athletes, with South African ID’s, who have achieved IAAF Silver Label status times during the last 12 months qualify for entry
IAAF Silver Label Times:
Marathon: Men: 2:12:00 and Women: 2:32:00
Half Marathon: Men: 1:03:00 and Women: 1:12:00
10km: Men: 29:00 and Women: 33:00
- All South African Athletes, with a South African ID, who have achieved IAAF Bronze label status times during the last 12 months will qualify – will be reviewed on an individual (case to case) basis;
IAAF Bronze Label Times
MARATHON: Men 2:16:00 and Women 2:38:00
HALF MARATHON: Men 1:04:00 and Women 1:15:00
10KM: Men 30:00 and Women 37:00
- All South African Athletes, with South African ID’s, who are on the Top 10 list in SA (5000m; 10000m; 10 km, 21,1 km or 42.2km – 2015 / 2016) – will be reviewed on an individual (case to case) basis.
- All South African Athletes who finished in the TOP 10 in the 2016 Sanlam Cape Town Marathon – will be reviewed on an individual (case to case) basis.
START AND FINISH
The Mother City Marathon
The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon is one of the world’s irresistible Gold Label City Marathons. Experience the route of Africa’s extraordinary Mother City as you rise to the heroic challenge of athletics most celebrated race – the classic Olympic distance of 42.2 km.
The race starts at the world famed tourist destination the V&A Waterfront. It follows trendy Mouille-Point Beach-front into Cape Town’s City Centre, and past her historical landmarks of Long Street, Mount Nelson Hotel, South African National Gallery, South African Holocaust Museum, St Mary’s Cathedral, Houses of Parliament, City Gardens, City Hall, and the Castle of Good Hope to mention a few.
You leave the City, heading towards the leafy Southern Suburbs, under the gaze of majestic Table Mountain. Be sure to enjoy the iconic Groote Schuur Hospital, world-ranked University of Cape Town, President’s Groote Schuur Residence, Newlands Test Cricket ground, and historic Rondebosch Common.
Turning back to the City alongside the Liesbeek River, you enter the vibrant, eclectic suburb of Woodstock before heading out along the National freeway towards Paarden Eiland. This former island, reclaimed from the sea, affords you incredible panoramic views of Table Mountain as you journey back to the City Centre.
The city is now awake, and you experience her unique rhythm, the salty sea smell, the incredible Capetonian support as you run along the World Cup 2010 Fanwalk towards the Cape Town Stadium. Your 42,2 km journey of the Mother City ends in the shadow of Signal Hill at Green Point A track where 100Os of spectators, runners and entertainers merge into a carnival of food, drink and celebration.
Get into the spirit, bring your family and friends to the vibrant supporter zone to revel in the freedom of running and relish the food stalls, beer garden, EXPO, live music and fancy dress fun!